I have been in Toronto for precisely 53 days and have loved every moment. Almost every moment. I know it's only 4 hours away from Ottawa so this might sound over exaggerated but it has been the most heart melting, jaw-dropping and eye-widening experience ever.
A part of me wants to bang my head over and over again against a wall for not moving here sooner, but the other half is super content with the timing. I think if I moved here any younger, I would have turned all sorts of crazy.
Things I love about Toronto (as ridiculous as some of them may sound):
1. I live in Asia. Central North York is literately Asia. There are way more sushi restaurants than burger joints and way more places serving bubble tea than of coffee. Everytime I go grocery shopping, the cashier greets me not with a "hi" but with some Korean pleasantries that I don't understand. At least I think it's pleasantries. I don't think I can put up with the extreme "Asian-ness" forever, but it's good for now.
2. There is a subway and I get to ride it. Many people probably wouldn't understand this, but I have a huge fascination with them. I'll be content riding them everyday to work if I had to. (Side note: I only love the fact that there is a subway. Not so pleased with the microscopic area of the GTA that it serves. So this is more like a love/hate relationship).
3. The endless supply of food. Toronto is like the city that never stops eating. I have had some of the best dim sum, lobster, Korean fried chicken, izakaya and sushi that I've ever had in my life in these past 53 days.
4. I feel much younger here. Between the vibrant nightlife, way out of your league real estate prices, abundance of things to do and people to meet in Toronto, I've noticed that people settle down way later than Ottawa. They are essentially 5-10 years behind which puts me in the 20-25 age bracket :)
Things I dislike about Toronto:
1. This is partially my fault as I text and walk. But everyday, I experience multiple close encounters with death as I text and walk while crossing streets and basically almost get run over. Drivers here are ferocious.
2. The F-ing Toronto transit (more specifically, buses). I don't want to elaborate other than to say that it's the most inefficient transit system I've ever experienced. This factor alone makes me cringe and want to move back to Ottawa every time I have to take it.